The Studio in Stampa, c. 1957
Lʼatelier à Stampa

In the last years of his life, Giacometti worked quite often in the studio he had taken over from his father in Stampa; it was here that the ‘Bustes de Chiavenna’ were created. In the background to the right can be seen an early sculpture, probably a head of the father from 1927, standing on the sideboard.

Material
Oil on canvas
Dimensions
58.0 x 55.0 cm
Creditline
Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Hans C. and Elisabeth Bechtler, 1983
Object number
GS 160
Signature
Inscribed bottom, right: Alberto Giacometti
Further information
Provenance
  • Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), Zürich, ab 2001, Leihgabe
  • Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 1983, Geschenk unter Vorbehalt der Nutzniessung
  • Hans C. und Elisabeth Bechtler, Stampa, 1965, vermutlich Geschenk
  • Alberto Giacometti