Due to technical necessities, some of Giacometti`s larger plasters had to be divided into several parts before they could be made into bronze castings at the foundry. In order to preserve the original substance of the plasters, the respective works owned by the Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung are usually not reassembled permanently.
ʻLe chienʼ was modelled directly in plaster on an iron armature. From 1956/57, the plaster served as a template for bronze casts, amongst others GS 047 in the Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung.
In the foundry, the work was divided into thirteen parts and coated with yellow-brown sealant and release agent prior to the making of the gelatine mould.
- Plaster, coated with sealant and release agent
- 46.0 x 15.0 x 100.0 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 358
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti