The bust was created by casting the initial clay model using a two-part negative plaster mould (lost mould). Subsequently, Giacometti reworked the surface slightly by adding and removing plaster.
From 1957/58, the plaster served as a template for bronze casts (for example Kunsthaus Zürich, see the collection online, Inv.Nr 2012/81). Initially using lost wax casting, later using sand casting.
In the foundry, the work was coated with yellow-brown sealant and a release agent prior to the making of the gelatine mould. Before the sand cast was made, talcum was applied as a release agent. For documentation purposes a plaster cast was produced posthumously with the help of a silicon mould.
- Plaster, coated with sealant and release agent
- 63.3 x 25.4 x 15.3 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 323
- Not signed
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti