This notebook contains only final versions of essays, some of biographical interest. The only (albeit meticulous) drawing is on a page that has been pasted in (fol 31r) and shows Hermann and his mother in conversation under the apple tree: it is the essay on ‘An image from Hermann and Dorothea’.
In a letter to Lucas Lichtenhan, the mentor from a senior class assigned to him by the school, Alberto volubly describes how, rather than supplying the written description of the picture he was told to imagine, he had drawn the picture itself and added just a few lines of text.
- Ink in black till 20v, 36v–40, in blue 20v–36r, corrections in redt; fol. 31r on pasted paper watercolour over ink.
- 22.0 x 17.7 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2000
- Object number
- GS 220
- inscribed on p. 2: 1917–1918
- Further information
- 43 sheets
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich, ab 2000, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), Zürich, 2000, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, bis 2000
- Alberto Giacometti