Of the sculptures from the period when Giacometti was training under Bourdelle between 1922 and 1925, only a few heads made in the Val Bregaglia survive, while his Parisian productions have been lost save for this self-portrait.
Giacometti probably swapped it with his fellow artist Ernst Stocker (1896–1983); a still life by Stocker with the sculpture as its principal subject still exists (see GS 183).
- 41.0 x 21.0 x 28.0 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, 1993
- Object number
- GS 180
- Inscribed on plinth, left: Giacometti
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 1993, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), Zürich, 1993, Kauf
- Hans Stocker (Künstler), bis 1993
- Alberto Giacometti