The bust was created by casting the initial clay model using a two-part negative plaster mould (lost mould). Subsequently, Giacometti further worked the surface by adding and removing plaster.The artist signed the plaster in red on the back left using a brush: ‘Alberto Giacometti’; below this in black: ‘PLATRE original’.
From 1960/61, the plaster served as a template for bronze casts using lost wax casting. In the foundry, the work was coated with yellow-brown sealant and a release agent prior to the making of the gelatine mould.
- Plaster, coated with sealant and release agent
- 40.8 x 33.7 x 13.4 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 328
- Inscribed on the back, left: ‘Alberto Giacometti’; on the back, at the bottom: ‘PLATRE original’
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti