The head is a cast probably dating from 1951. It was executed with the initial Plasticine model from c. 1917 using a multi-part negative plaster mould (plaster piece-mould). The surface displays no evidence of further working.
From 1954 onwards, this plaster cast served as a template for bronze casts made using the sand casting technique. Another original plaster cast made during Giacometti’s lifetime has also survived. It was cast using the same plaster piece-mould (see GS 285).
- 19.0 x 10.1 x 9.9 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 284
- Not signed
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti