The figure was created by casting the initial clay or Plasticine model using a two-part negative plaster mould (lost mould). Subsequently, Giacometti slightly reworked the surface by adding plaster. The reverse side of the base is marked in blue ballpoint with the inscription ‘N° I’; on the underside the figure ‘I’ was scored into the surface following pencil-drawn guide lines.
From 1955, the plaster served as a template for bronze casts made using the sand-casting method. In the foundry, a reddish sealant and talcum as a release agent were applied prior to sand casting. 1980 a documentary plaster cast was produced with the help of a silicon mould.
- Plaster, coated with sealant
- 10.0 x 2.8 x 3.4 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 341
- Not signed
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti