At first the head was created by making a cast of an initial clay, Plasticine or plaster model. Subsequently, Giacometti completely reworked the entire surface in several phases. This was achieved by adding and removing plaster, the application of a reddish slip between the work phases and the addition of pencil marks. The signature applied in pencil at the back of the base of the neck was retraced numerous times and includes some areas affected by partial flaking.
No subsequent moulds were made from this plaster, meaning that it did not serve as a template for a bronze cast.
- Plaster, red slip
- 27 x 15.6 x 20.6 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 289
- Signed on the right lower back side: 1925 Alberto Giacometti
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, bis 2006, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti