Portrait of G. David Thompson, 1957
Portrait G. David Thompson

G. David Thompson (1898–1965), a Pittsburgh steel magnate, assembled one of the most important collections of Classical Modernism; in 1960 it was acquired by the Galerie Beyeler and shown for the first time at the Kunsthaus, then in Düsseldorf, where the extensive holdings of works by Klee were purchased for the newly established Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen. Thompson was especially close to Giacometti and held on to his works until 1962; obtained through the offices of Ernst Beyeler, they form the basis for the Alberto Giacometti Foundation.

Material
Oil on canvas
Dimensions
100.0 x 73.0 cm
Creditline
Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, 1965
Object number
GS 067
Signature
Inscribed bottom, right: Alberto Giacometti / 1957
Further information
Provenance
  • Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), frühestens ab 1965, Leihgabe
  • Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), Zürich, frühestens ab 1965, Übernahme
  • Alberto Giacometti-Syndikat, Zürich, 1963, Kauf
  • Galerie Beyeler, Basel, 1963, Kauf
  • Sammlung G. David Thompson, Pittsburgh
  • Alberto Giacometti