The head is a cast probably dating from 1951. It was executed with the initial Plasticine model from c. 1917 using a multi-part negative plaster mould (plaster piece-mould). The surface displays no evidence of further working.
No subsequent moulds were made from this plaster, meaning that it did not serve as a template for a bronze cast. Another original plaster cast made during Giacometti’s lifetime has also survived. It was cast using the same plaster piece-mould (see GS 284).
- 19.4 x 10 x 10.5 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 285
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, Nachlass
- Alberto Giacometti