The head was created by casting the initial clay or Plasticine model using a multi-part negative plaster mould (plaster piece-mould). The surface displays no evidence of further working. The cast base was created separately and its surface was heavily reworked by the artist.
From 1958, the plaster served as a template for bronze casts made using the sand-casting method. In the foundry, a reddish sealant and talcum as a release agent were applied prior to sand casting. Furthermore, the front of the base was inscribed in blue with the word ‘Face’ (this was removed in 2016 at the instigation of the Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung).
The Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft also holds another original plaster cast of the ʻTête de Ritaʼ made during Giacometti’s lifetime using the same plaster piece-mould (without a base, see Kunsthaus Zürich collection online, obj. no. 2012/68).
- Plaster, coated with sealant
- 16.5 x 6.3 x 7.1 cm
- Kunsthaus Zürich, Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung, Donated by Bruno and Odette Giacometti, 2006
- Object number
- GS 301
- Not signed
- Further information
- Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft | Kunsthaus Zürich (Museum), ab 2006, Leihgabe
- Alberto Giacometti-Stiftung (Sammlung), 2006, Geschenk
- Bruno und Odette Giacometti, bis 2006
- Alberto Giacometti